I looovvvvvvvvvveeeee to "bored eat." I could be completly full, but almost every evening you will find me rummaging around in the kitchen looking for a snack. This is how it usually goes:
9:00 PM: Eat something salty. Usually popcorn.
9:20 PM: Finished with popcorn. Now I need something sweet..hmmmm
9:45 PM: Downed cookies, ice cream, cake, whatever was on hand. Realizing I ruined whatever diet I was on at that moment.
10:00 PM: Food. Coma.
One thing that I have found to help my little "bored eating" habit is keeping fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries in the fridge. That way, when I go looking for a snack, I can just take a handful of those instead of eating everything else on hand.
Knowing I had one such bowl of blueberries in the fridge, I knew I had to make this recipe when I stumbled upon it. It was actually really quick to pull together for a scratch brownie recipe, and turned out great. Now, the only problem I have is keeping myself from eating these at night instead of the fresh berries in the fridge!
adapted from Chocolate and Tea
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8x8 baking dish.
2. Sift together flour, salt, and cocoa in small mixing bowl.
3. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add each egg, one at a time, and mix well after each addition.
4. Slowly stir flour mixture into wet mixture. Once combined fold in blueberries and chocolate chips.