When reading through cookbooks, food blogs, and magazines, I always see many recipes for brunch type dishes that I mark as "must try." The problem is, when I wake up on a Saturday or Sunday morning, the last thing I want to do is head straight for the kitchen to begin a complex recipe.
Well a couple of Sundays ago, I decided to get up a little weekend motivation and give this bacon cheddar cheese and scallion biscuit recipe a try. Not only is making more than fried eggs for breakfast a big deal for me, but I had also never made homemade biscuits. Needless to say, I was a bit nervous that they were going to turn out hard as rocks.
The recipe made 8 biscuits, which all turned out light, fluffy, and delicious. As soon as Frank and I had ate a few, I sent a text out to my friends that live in the area asking if they wanted to rest to prevent us from eating all 8 in a matter of a few hours.
Bacon Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated Cheddar
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 scallions, green parts only, thinly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add butter and blend with pastry blender or in an electric mixer until you have a meal with lumps about the size of small peas.
3. Beat buttermilk and egg. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Do not overmix. Lightly coat cheddar with dusting of flour and add to dough along with crumble bacon and scallions until just distributed. Do not overmix!
4. Dump out onto a well-floured board and knead 6-8 times. Press dough flat and cut with biscuit cutter or floured rim of a glass. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or silpat. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned. Serve hot!